Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on March 17, 2018, will address the farmers, agricultural scientists and other participants in Krishi Unnati Mela. The Mela is being organised by Union Ministry of Agriculture and Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) at Mela ground, Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI), Pusa, New Delhi between March 16 and March 18, 2018. The Prime Minister will also inaugurate the Jaivik Kheti portal and lay the foundation stone of 25 Krishi Vigyan Kendras (KVKs). He will also confer the Krishi Karman Award and Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay Krishi Vigyan Protsahan Puraskar.
Formerly known as Krishi Vigyan Mela (Agriculture Science Fair), the fair was initiated in 1972 and continues to be a highly important annual event of ICAR.
The objective of the mela is to create widespread awareness about the latest agricultural technological developments and receive feedback from the agricultural community, which helps in designing and shaping the Institute’s future research strategy. This mela is organised every year with a specific theme on a priority area of agricultural research and technology transfer.
Lakhs of farmers are expected to attend the mela. KVKs, State Agriculture Universities (SAUs), state agriculture and horticulture departments, entrepreneurs, private agencies involved in agriculture will also participate in the mela.
Major highlights of the fair
- More than 800 stalls
- Display of latest Agriculture and allied sector technologies
- Live Demonstrations on Micro- Irrigation, waste water utilisation, Animal Husbandry (Pashudhan) and Fisheries among others
- Seminars and conferences
Theme Pavilions will also cover
- Theme pavilion: Doubling Farmers income by 2022
- Jaivik Maha Kumbh- on organic farming
- Sahkar Samelan
- Pavilion for inputs such as seeds, fertilisers, pesticides supplying agencies
- Horticulture, Dairy, Animal Husbandry, Fisheries
- ICAR and IARI
- Stalls of Ministry of Textile, Ministry of Food Processing and Industry, Ministry of Commerce and North East Council have also been set up.