In order to promote SHG products through online marketing, Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India and Amazon Seller Services (Amazon) signed a memorandum of understanding at Krishi Bhawan in New Delhi today.
During the course of signing of MoU, Giriraj Singh, Union Minister of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj stressed on translating the MoU between MoRD and Amazon to achieve sales on the platform and ensuring that the maximum number of women artisans become ‘lakhpati’. He also suggested that both Amazon and MoRD should identify the challenges with the existing products, their packaging and branding. The minister also said that the MoU between MoRD and Amazon was a first step and should be followed by regular monitoring of the engagement to ensure results that are envisaged in the MoU.
It is envisaged that this alliance would enable SHG entrepreneurs under National Rural Livelihood Mission (NRLM) to offer their products to the buyers across India through Amazon Saheli Storefront and help SHG women achieve good price for their varied products.
To further facilitate the marketing of SHG’s products, NRLM is creating an alliance with Amazon Saheli and both the entities signed a non-financial MoU to offer SHG women the Storefront of Amazon Saheli. This will open new platform for making SHG products available to all Indian buyers at Amazon.
Salient features of MoRD-Amazon MoU
- Amazon and MoRD will jointly enable the commercial and social development of women-led rural enterprises across identified states and UTs.
- Amazon will provide training and onboarding support to MoRD appointed sellers to list products from self-help groups (SHGs) associated with MoRD on Amazon.in
- Amazon will offer referral fee waiver, imaging, cataloguing and account management support at launch to mitigate cold start for SHGs.
- Amazon will help market and promote products listed by SHGs through the Saheli Storefront, social media, events and onsite merchandising.
- MoRD (through respective SRLM) will help identify and apprise GST verified sellers to sell on Amazon.in, and assist the sellers in securing GST, PAN among other related documents.
- MoRD & Amazon will conduct joint workshops for awareness creation and assist the sellers in listing their products and unlocking growth levers to grow their business on Amazon.in
NRLM has taken a number of steps to support SHGs in creating market access for SHG products through online marketing. There have been efforts by states and UTs also in getting SHGs products registered on e-commerce platforms such as Flipkart, Amazon and Meesho. This includes dedicated web portals managed by some of the states. The potential e-commerce platforms have been explored and specific provision such as ‘the Saras Collection’ has been created at Government e-Marketplace (GeM) for NRLM SHGs to onboard their curated products. As on April 30, 2022, a total of 1,088 products have been uploaded at GeM by 455 SHGs/ SHG members. Similarly, there are 445 products from 114 SHG sellers onboard on Flipkart representing 14 states.
RuralMarketing.in is now on Telegram. Click here to join Rural Marketing on Telegram and stay updated with the latest news and updates on rural business and the economy.