India’s horticulture production is estimated to be 320.48 million tonnes in 2019-20. Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare, Government of India has released the 2nd Advance Estimates of 2019-20 of area and production of various horticulture crops. These are based on the information received from states and other source agencies.
2019-20 (2nd Advance Estimate)
Area (Million Hectare)
Production (Million Tonne)
- Total horticulture production in 2019-20 (2nd Advance Estimates) is estimated to be 3.13 percent higher than 2018-19.
- Increase in vegetables, fruits, aromatics and medicinal plants and flowers, while decrease in plantation crops and spices, over previous year, is observed.
- The fruits production is estimated to be 99.07 million tonne compared to 97.97 million tonne production in 2018-19. It is mainly due to increase in production of banana, apple, citrus and watermelon.
- The production of vegetables in 2019-20 is estimated to be 191.77 million tonne, compared to 183.17 million tonne in 2018-19. Increase is mainly due to increased production of onion, tomato, okra, peas and potato.
- Onion production is estimated to be 26.74 million tonne, as compared to 22.82 million tonne in 2018-19.
- Tomato production is estimated to be 20.57 million tonne as compared to 19.01 million tonnes in 2018-19.